Between 1862 and 1866, Craven had a total of ten small locomotives with a 2-2-2 wheel arrangement built for use in light express trains. It started with number 31, which was delivered in December 1962. It had larger driving wheels than any of its successors at six and a half feet and cylinders measuring 16 inches in diameter and 22 inches in stroke. It had a full-length outer frame, but the driving wheels were only mounted in the inner frame, while the carrying wheels were mounted in the outer frame. The inside cylinders were controlled by a Stephenson valve gear. It was not until September of the following year that number 161 followed, which only had a driving wheel diameter of six feet and whose cylinders had a larger diameter but a shorter stroke.
In 1864 numbers 190 and 191 were built, and in the following year 29 and 30, all of which were similar. Their wheel diameter was only five and a half feet. With these, all three axles were mounted in the outer frame and the driving axle in addition in the inner frame. One difference was that the first two had an Allan valve gear and the last two had a Stephenson valve gear. A further four locomotives, each almost identical in construction, were built in 1966 for the service between Portsmouth and London and given the numbers 232 to 235. These again had a wheel diameter of six feet.
Four of the ten locomotives had been given names during their service life that were based on locations along the routes or where they were stationed. These were “Littlehampton”, “Havant”, “Horsham” and “Dorking”. The decommissioning took place between 1880 and 1886. Only numbers 233 and 235 were sold to the West Lancashire Railway in 1883 and were used there until 1887.