In order to increase the speed of freight locomotives, Gölsdorf introduced a leading axle on the class 60 from 1895 onwards. The boiler was now higher, the firebox was above the last driving axle and the cylinders were behind the leading axle. This reduced the large overhanging masses, which improved smooth running. Many parts from the classes 30 and 59 were used. With their top speed of 60 km/h, they were also used in passenger and express service when needed.
Until 1910, the kkStB received a total of 297 that were operated with saturated steam. In addition, 22 were built with Clench steam dryers as class 60.500 and three with Pielock superheaters as class 60.800. The Südbahn received 73 of the saturated variant between 1900 and 1914. Since the locomotives were spread throughout Austria-Hungary, many came to Poland, Czechoslovakia, Italy, Yugoslavia and Romania after the First World War. Even after the Second World War, the ÖBB took over 20, the last of which were used until 1963.